The Japanese defense forces couldn't stop Godzilla.....I captured the beast!

The Japanese defense forces couldn't stop Godzilla.....I captured the beast!
Spied this over Route 128 on my way home from work. Dirty windshield and strong sun glare I had to darken the image and crop out the sun. That's the only edit to what's probably my worse quality image. I figured some would get a kick out of it so I posted the pic on facebook. A few shares later it's gone world wide! Who would of thunk it?

Why I created this......

Born and raised in Gloucester, Ma fishing gets in your blood. Surrounded by the sea, kids here have a boat almost as much as kids elsewhere have bicycles! As I grew older my fishing ambitions gave way to what's around me. Although I still "drop a line" every so often, my attention wanders to the majesty of the natural light that make this place so special. Never is each day the same. The subjects may be the same but the light from the sea & sky will morph the subject into a form of art. For that reason artists have been drawn to these shores for several hundred years, they followed the light painting and sketching these surroundings. What artists capture with paint on canvas, I attempt to capture with a click.....if I'm lucky!

I guess that's a sort of Fish'n!

Jay Albert

Jay Albert 2023 all rights reserved


Click on any post image to enlarge.

"A Gloucester Christmas ! "

My Views of Gloucester !

Saturday, July 17, 2010

2010 Blackburn Challenge !

The Blackburn Challenge is a 20 mile rowing race around Cape Ann. About 400 contestants in rowing craft of all shapes and sizes enjoyed a great weather day. Though it was hazy the sea conditions couldn't have been better. This was my second year as a "chase boat" operator,actually a "station boat". My area of responsibility was from Salt Island to Milk Island. The race did have some moments as far as I was concerned. A single outrigger capsized about 20 yards from my position but the contestant quickly righted his craft and was on his way. A two man dory appeared to loose their way. After passing me I noticed about 30 minutes later they were about 2 miles southeast of me! They had trouble keeping a straight course and "crabbed" their way out to sea. After the last rowers passed I decided to see if things were ok so I headed towards the wayward dory. After I asked if they were allright I joked that they were heading towards Cape Cod and this was a Cape Ann race! One replied by telling me in a sense.... where to go! A short time later I got a message from Race Control that there was a rower in a Banks Dory between Milk Island and Thacher Island who injured his back. I raced to his position and found him tied up to a lobster buoy. He was ok but his back stiffened up and couldn't continue. While towing him in I realized I towed him in during the 2009 race!


Paddleboarders appear out in the haze.

Approaching nun buoy #4.

Joe Sanfillipo and Jeff Muise

"Siren Song"

Capsized!

Climbing aboard.

Getting a good hold.

Back onboard ready to go.

Break time!

A canoe with oarlocks!

Concentration!

Damon Cummings' boat "Glass Slipper" carries a kayak!

Digging in!

Pulling hard!

Outrigger pulls away.

Happy kayakers!

Kayaks and a canoe.

Kayaks near and far.

Mix dory team.

Outrigger and Thacher Island.

Hand paddle power!

Pair of kayaks.

Side by side.

That sinking feeling!

Wayward rowers!

Timing is the key for a straight course!

Heading out to sea....This image is zoomed in!

Towing the dory "Puritan".

Rowing craft on Pavillion Beach.

Colorful craft at the finish.

4 comments:

A New England Life said...

I hope the guy was okay! To bad he couldn't appreciate your sense of humor.

What a great summer it's been for boats. I hope you're enjoying it Jay and getting out there often!

Sharon

Jay Albert said...

I wish I had the time to get out on the boat more often. It was my 2nd day off since May 1st when I started my current job! Going from dock to dock 7 days a week is not too bad....at least in this weather.

Ryan said...

wonderful images from the day - enjoyed being out on the water for my 1st Blackburn!
Cheers

Jude said...

So great to see & what stories! My brother and sister-in-law were in the race, and you actually captured my sis-in-law in your "Outrigger and Thatcher Island" photo! Thanks for posting.

"Glosta Logic"

It's not "soda" and not "pop" or even "soda pop" it's "tonic"!
__________________________________________
It's a "rotary" not a "roundabout"!
__________________________________________
"Going up the line" is a term used when leaving the island!
__________________________________________
A "jigga"is a homemade powerless go-cart!
__________________________________________
It's not "Break Time or Coffee Break" it's "Mug-up"!
__________________________________________
It's not a "water fountain" it's a "Bubbla"!
__________________________________________

Angels in Disguise

">

Unloading Haddock !

">

25th Annual Gloucester Schooner Festival Slideshow !

SailGloucester 2009 Slideshow !

Allie Hates Soccer!