The Japanese defense forces couldn't stop Godzilla.....I captured the beast!

The Japanese defense forces couldn't stop Godzilla.....I captured the beast!
Spied this over Route 128 on my way home from work. Dirty windshield and strong sun glare I had to darken the image and crop out the sun. That's the only edit to what's probably my worse quality image. I figured some would get a kick out of it so I posted the pic on facebook. A few shares later it's gone world wide! Who would of thunk it?

Why I created this......

Born and raised in Gloucester, Ma fishing gets in your blood. Surrounded by the sea, kids here have a boat almost as much as kids elsewhere have bicycles! As I grew older my fishing ambitions gave way to what's around me. Although I still "drop a line" every so often, my attention wanders to the majesty of the natural light that make this place so special. Never is each day the same. The subjects may be the same but the light from the sea & sky will morph the subject into a form of art. For that reason artists have been drawn to these shores for several hundred years, they followed the light painting and sketching these surroundings. What artists capture with paint on canvas, I attempt to capture with a click.....if I'm lucky!

I guess that's a sort of Fish'n!

Jay Albert

Jay Albert 2023 all rights reserved


Click on any post image to enlarge.

"A Gloucester Christmas ! "

My Views of Gloucester !

Friday, January 21, 2011

Paint Manufactory....A New Life Is In The Works !

Did you know the Paint Factory was once painted yellow?

Last week when someone said "Have you seen the Paint Factory? It's falling down!" I had to take a look and see what's happening with it. Besides taking a picture I looked back in my database and it is easy to see how far the deterioration has come. The north corner has a hole in it as that section sags. So I assembled images from 2007 up to the present and included them here in my last post. My intention was to bring attention of the state of this iconic waterfront structure. If you live here you kinda take the Paint Factory for granted, after all it's been standing watch over the inner harbor since the 1860's! But if you look into it's history and find out how it played a role in the Civil War and America's industrial revolution you realize it's more than just a pretty building to paint or photograph.
Well I guess I managed to grab someone's attention, Iain Kerr Chief Executive Officer of Ocean Alliance who's organization owns the Paint Factory contacted me.
Iain explained that work on the buildings has begun. Site work that includes removing lead paint and asbestos siding is being done now. The work is on the backside of the complex out of view for most of us. With that he invited me onto the grounds for a site tour. Iain explained his organization's dreams of the facility as we walked and climbed through the maze of ramps,stairways and passage ways. The Ocean Alliance mission is to monitor and educate the health of the world's oceans. In my view, taking on the restoration of the Paint Factory as their world headquarters is a perfect fit and challenge!


Backside

Iain begins the tour.

Worker adds dry ice as the media to remove lead paint under high pressure.

Missing corner!

North corner.

Asbetos siding removed, old windows exposed!

Looking out towards the outer harbor.

Iain atop worn stairs.

Paint mixing vat.

Internal works

Belt pulley

Dirty window with a great view.

Gear and pulley

Trap door to the harbor!

Paint Factory pier

Sliding door

The Paint Factory probably in the late 40's painted yellow!

Two Gloucester icons...Schooner Adventure passes the Paint Factory!

Iain Kerr....note the yellow paint!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! I've always wanted to see this building in person, I just love it. I was planning on taking a weekend trip to Cape Ann sometime this summer, and this place was on my list of places to see and photograph. I'm sure with the upcoming renovations, it will look a little different by then, but it's not going stop me. If anything, I want to see it all the more. But I really hope they keep the building red, and not go back to the yellow color. The red just makes it stand out, and with its history, rightfully so.

Scott Law said...

I don't know anything about the paint factory, but I did enjoy your photos here.

I was pointed to your blog by Leah from South Shore and Beyond because we are planning a trip to the MA and ME coasts in October this year. I'll be checking here regularly to find great places to visit while there.

"Glosta Logic"

It's not "soda" and not "pop" or even "soda pop" it's "tonic"!
__________________________________________
It's a "rotary" not a "roundabout"!
__________________________________________
"Going up the line" is a term used when leaving the island!
__________________________________________
A "jigga"is a homemade powerless go-cart!
__________________________________________
It's not "Break Time or Coffee Break" it's "Mug-up"!
__________________________________________
It's not a "water fountain" it's a "Bubbla"!
__________________________________________

Angels in Disguise

">

Unloading Haddock !

">

25th Annual Gloucester Schooner Festival Slideshow !

SailGloucester 2009 Slideshow !

Allie Hates Soccer!